All children, regardless of age, are welcome to West Raleigh's service of worship for all are Children of God! We do offer various resources for children and parents so that children may worship in all the ways they do best.
For infants and toddlers, loving and safe childcare is available in Room 115. Of course, you may always keep your child with you in the sanctuary as well.
Preschool and elementary-aged children join their families in the sanctuary to begin worship together with the family of God. As you enter the sanctuary, be sure to ask a deacon for a...
- Young Reader's Bulletin filled with age-appropriate activities. After the scripture readings, children are invited to join the pastor for...
- A Time for Young Christians, an opportunity for the pastors to relate some aspect of the scripture or worship in a way that children and all present can understand. After the prayer, children may go to...
- Children's Worship for children ages 3 ½ to Grade 3 to hear the stories of God through a Montessori-based approach to storytelling. Parents pick up their children following worship in room 201.
Other ways for children to participate in worship:
- Communion - Children who desire may remain during the entire worship service and are welcome to participate in Communion. The Presbyterian Book of Order encourages “baptized children who are being nurtured and instructed in the significance of the invitation to the Table and the meaning of their response” to receive the Lord’s Supper. Very young children are welcome to come forward with their parents to receive a blessing from the pastor.
- Worship Kits - Bags containing supplies that help children focus on the service of worship are available at the front of the sanctuary. These bags contain Christian books or bibles, pencil crayons, blank booklets, a guide to communion, and prayer suggestions.
- Music- West Raleigh provides many opportunities for children to sing their praises!
- Joy Chorus (Toddlers through Kindergarten) sings active, Christian children's songs.
- Alleluia Singers (Grades 1 – 5) also experiment with hand chimes and other percussion instruments. The children will occasionally share their music with the congregation during Sunday worship service and on other special occasions.
- Bibles - On Christian Education Sunday, the Sunday after Labor Day, children in Grade 3 receive their own NRSV Bibles engraved with the child’s name so that they can better participate in worship.
Let the children come to me... for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.